Monday, October 11, 2010

A New Experience--First days in the MTC


Hey,
 
I am doing well.  The MTC is completely different than i thought it would be.  They are a lot more laid back.  They want you to be the proactive one.  You have to be motivated to learn on your own.  Which is fine.  My comp is super cool.  He is from California.  We get along really well.  Sometimes its a problem because we get sidetracked way to easily and don't focus on learning the language or gospel.  But we are having fun.  We've pretty much broken every rule by accident...welll nothing serious just stupid little rules.  But we are starting to learn the system.  Its been rough getting to class on time because we are so bad with keeping track here.   
We've had gym everyday.  That must be a new thing because Andrew said that they didn't get gym until the 2nd or 3rd week. But the gym is gettho here.  Way too small for how many people there are.  I can't complain too much though because its exercise.  The food is ok.  It hasn't been setting well with anyone really though.  But i'm not going hungry thats for sure.  I'm eating way too much food.  
They do expect a lot of us quickly here.  We are suppose to be doing discussion in portuguese next week.  We go to lab and the people may be members or investigators we don't know.  Talk about nerve racking. I can barely say hi in portuguese let only keep a conversation.  We also have to write a talk in church every week and then 2 elders are picked to give theirs.  By week 4 they have to be in portuguese.  I hope that i get it before then.  
My district is really cool. The people are really cool and it is amazing how much we have in common.  It just goes to show that this isn't random.  Pretty much all of us have a background in German.  Maybe we are suppose to teach some x nazis or refugees.  Our floor has a lot of missionaries going to french speaking places and it makes so much sense.  I can't really stand any of them.  They all seem super aragant...very french like.  I'm so thankful i'm going to Brazil because we are so much more chill.  Another thing that is very surprising is how many older missionaries there are.  I don't feel very old here...more like in the middle of the pack.  But you can tell instantly the missionaries just out of high school...they are super immature.  I have to stay away from they cause they annoy me.  I've also solidified that i'm not going to BYU when i get back...i can't do it anymore.  I'll go back to the U of I before i go to BYU.  I see what there like and its just not me.  I also have found out that i don't want to go to BYU Hawaii.  My roomate went there and is going back after he gets off of his mission.  It just doesn't seem like a school for me, especially if you're white. Even though my comps white.    
Portuguese is so hard.  Spanish is so much easier.  Especially to pronouce word...its a lot more dificult in portuguese.  But i think portuguese sounds cooler/better than spanish does.  It will be awesome when i can actually speak it...but thats a long ways down the road.  
It feels like i've been in the MTC for a decade.  Its going to be a rough 9 weeks if its like this.  They just pile so much onto  you that you don't know what to study or prepare for.  I'm just glad that pretty much everyone feels this way so i normal i assume.  I'm hoping that our district gets our visas at the same time so we can all go to brazil together. I'd rather go to Brazil with support than try and tough it out to the MTC without companions.  But whatever happens will be for a reason.
    I thought school was rought at times.  I'd take school work day over this any time.  There is literally no time to do anything really besides church stuff.  From 7:40 till 9 we are in classes/person/comp study.  There are breakfast lunch dinner breaks too but they are only 45 minutes and go really fast.
I hope that you are all doing well.  I love you all.

Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment